Isabella MILES was born between Jun–Sep 1861 in Hungerford, England. as the second child of George MILES and Mary Ann JONES. She had three (known) siblings, namely: William, Mary Ann, and Charles.As a young child Isabella lived in Swindon, Wiltshire, England in 1871. (census)
As a young woman she lived in St Botolph, London, England in 1881. (census)
Isabella Miles emmigrated to New Zealand in 1883-84 aboard the steam ship 'Bombay' as an assisted passenger. She appears to have travelled alone. She is listed as a 24 year old single woman, general servant from Berkshire .
The Bombay left Plymouth, England on 29th November 1883 and arrived at Port Chalmers, New Zealand 23 January 1884 after a 55 day voyage. There were over 580 included amongst the passengers and immigrants; ordinary, steerage, cabin, and 3 stowaways. A brief description and passenger list is available at https://sites.rootsweb.com/~nzbound/Bombay1883.htm
Her first child Beatrice Ada MILES was born about a year later (possibly January) in 1885 in Temuka, South Canterbury. Her father's name was not registered on the record.
NZBDM # 1885/3561 https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz however Thomas KING is the suspected father as:
a) Isabella's marriage took place a month later and
b) shared DNA centimorgans of myself and a proven paperchase 3rd cousin strongly suggests a full relationship with siblings born within that marriage.
Isabella married Thomas KING,son of Daniel KING and nee Eliza FOARD, on 12 Feb 1885 in Office of the Registrar, Temuka, South Canterbury, NZ.
NZBDM marriage # 1885/690 https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz
- Isabella Maude KING was born on 26 Apr 1886 in Temuka, South Canterbury, New Zealand.. She died in Mar 1973 in South Canterbury, New Zealand. She married not registered in 1907. She married Ambrose Muriel McKay in 1912. She married Frank Walter KINZETT in 1920.
- Thomas William KING was born on 02 Jun 1888 in Temuka, South Canterbury, New Zealand.. He died in 1964.
- Maryann Ellen Eliza KING was born on 27 Sep 1889 in Temuka, South Canterbury, New Zealand.. She died on 14 Jul 1935 in Marrickville, New South Wales, Australia. She married William VIRGIN on 12 Oct 1910 in Kent Terrace Presbyterian Church, Wellington City, Wellington, New Zealand (marriage at Pirie Street Wellington New Zealand, witnessed by Annie Elliott and R.D. Elliott. NZ Registration Number 1910/7001).
- Charles John KING was born on 28 May 1891 in Temuka, South Canterbury, New Zealand.. He died in 1943.
- Sarah Eva KING was born on 18 Jul 1892 in Temuka, South Canterbury, New Zealand.. She died in Sep 1972 in timaru. She married Frederick ROBINSON in 1917 in Timaru, South Canterbury, New Zealand..
- George Henry KING was born on 29 Sep 1893 in Arowhenua, Temuka, South Canterbury, New Zealand. He died on 05 May 1949 in Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand (Christchurch Public Hospital from 50 Studholme St, Christchurch.Buried in the Armed Services section of the Ruru Lawn Cemetery, Linwood.). He married Phyllis Olive GREENFIELD on 01 May 1930 in Christchurch, New Zealand (at Knox House, Carlton Mill Rd, Christchurch).
- Leona Clara KING was born on 10 Sep 1895 in Temuka, South Canterbury, New Zealand.. She married Edward MARRA on 15 Jul 1919.
- Ivena Elsie KING was born on 09 Jul 1900 in Temuka, South Canterbury, New Zealand.. She died on 09 Dec 1959 in Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand.
She died on 28 Sep 1906 in Timaru Hospital, South Canterbury, New Zealand.
Cause of death:
1. Deciduoma Malignoma ie: an intrauterine mass of decidual tissue, probably the result of hyperplasia of decidual cells retained in the uterus after parturitionls (also called placentoma) about 5 months.
2. Pyaemia following a curettage ie: a diseased state in which pyogenic bacteria are circulating in the blood, characterized by the development of abscesses in various organs, 8 days.
She was buried in Oct 1906 in an unmarked grave at Temuka cemetry, Plot 487 Row 175.
NB: Beatrice Ada KING was born in Temuka, South Canterbury, New Zealand. She married Zaccheus KAY in 1903 in Temuka, South Canterbury, New Zealand. She died March 1927 at Temuka.